Saturday, January 15, 2005

To Interview or Not to Interview

I made the mistake of watching network tv Friday night. It started with Dateline and sadly deteriorated to a Barbara Walters special. I'd never been able to stomach an entire one before. I decided to give it a try when I realized the subjects of the interview were Pres. Bush and the Mrs. I generally can't stomach them either, but in the upcoming inauguration and a spirit of generosity and open-mindedness, I decided to give it a go.

I failed.

Oh, I sat through it and choked it down. I just wasn't the most open-minded about it. I got off to a bad start when Barbara asked the President for 3 words that described his views going into the second term or some crap like that. I want to ask Mr. Anal over at Crossfire if that question qualified as a softball and whether Barbara held Bush's feet to the fire to get him to answer the "serious" questions.

Sadly, this was not the low point of the special. That moment was "achieved" during a segue to a commercial. The scene was of the President calling to one of his dogs. Barbara's voiceover was to the effect, "But there are limits to the powers of the President." Oooh. Serious journalism. I'm glad she felt the need to point out one limitation, dog obedience, in reference to an administration that answers Freedom of Information Act requests for minutes to energy policy meetings with, "They are private meetings. We don't wanna share them and you can't make us."

So why did I continue to watch? Blog inspiration. I like to suffer for my art.

I found myself pondering the question style during commercial breaks. I began to recognize that I've had job interviews that were tougher. Then I began to really wish that Barbara Walters would interview me for a job. Questions this soft would be a dream. In her defense, she did ask Bush for his position on Roe v. Wade It's a tough question that I think most people know the answer to already. He didn't even answer it. Does this mean if I get a tough or one of the completely random questions that love to find there way into job interviews, and don't have give her an answer? Cool.

Then I realized that she would probably be a tough ass bitch when conducting a job interview. I got a mental picture that literally made me cringe. Not cool. Not even, "Yikes!" More like, "Yikes!!!!!"

So I have ultimately decided that I would not like to undergo a job interview with Barbara Walters because

  1. She would be positively evil during the interview (and I suspect as an employer).
  2. I would then have to watch stupid questions in horrible celebrity interviews.
  3. I could never forget that segue to commercial.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you be joining in for Turn your back on Bush day then, I take it?

Marj M.

http://mooremarjo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Our "Fearless Leader", gotta love him, does not read the paper, probably has never answered his phone all his adult life, cannot be expected to answer an "on the spot interview question", without proper propping up, aka, Dick, Rummy, Laura?,

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and Babawawa hasn't been a real journalist for decades.

-Charone
http://screwyou.thezeroboss.com