Friday, January 07, 2005

To Apply or Not to Apply

I was doing my regular monster.com jobsearching and I came across a position that would be a really good fit. I have a master's degree in the field involved but no experience. They are looking for someone with 2-5 years experience and an associate's degree (realistically, they need to look for someone with more education.) Two strikes against me are that I lack knowledge in a specific content area and bilingual is a plus that I don't have. It's a local job, but I'd be submitting my resume out of state.

What is really giving me pause is that I recently applied for a position for which I am really overqualified with the exact same company at the exact same location. I sent my resume to the local office. I am a bit concerned that I look like I'm not interested in either position by applying for both positions. Thoughts or suggestions?

4 comments:

Der Tommissar said...

Hi. I'm sorry about your employment situation, it was a rough time for me too. Your best bet is to try and get in touch with someone at the company, preferrably in the department or section or whatever that you'd be working. Then you can lay out how you feel with them. That can be risky, but it can pay off.

Stay away from the HR folks though, that would be counterproductive.

Welcome! said...

Listen, take the bulls by the horns. Elaborate on your resume and show a lot of enthusiasm in the interview. Do these two things and any job is yours...

Anonymous said...

Apply for the second job.

Chances are that different people will handle different applications - and if there are a number of applications will they actually see your name tiwce?

Greg Finnegan said...

I think that you should apply for both. And if a third one comes along that's attractive, go for it. If asked, explain that you want to work in the fields the company has listed, and you'd like some advice. Period. The image the company would see is someone who really wants to work for them, in various capacities.

-Greg