Monday, January 10, 2005

Could This Be the Beginning of Something Special?

Have my fortunes turned for the better?

Sure, when I woke up, I discussed my headcold had moved into my chest. This is usually a precursor to bronchitis, never a good thing for the uninsured. Yet I am as giddy as a school girl.

First, I revised my resume and cover letter and applied for a job I had been looking at. Plus, I did it all electronically through monster.com, which is a first, so I am feeling happy and pro-active on the jobhunting front.

Second, I called the loan officer for my Perkins loans. Like many of you, my student loans are a source of some severe angst. To give you an idea of my relationship with my student loans, last night I went to bed happy with my blogging but worried about the call I knew I needed to place today. I had been expecting a payment to have been due around the 1st but had never gotten the bill. I began to worry about late fees and snarkiness when I called in. Oh, and since these are Perkins loans, they are co-signed by my parents and hence the ones I want to pay off first. I was on the verge of an anxiety attack and the stress did a number on my stomach. I spent some time in bathroom, before bed, during the night, and first thing in the morning.

I did not want to call in today. But I didn't want to put it off any longer so I placed the call. Low and behold, Perkins loans are quarterly payments, not monthly like I had thought. With all my deferrments (don't worry, the loan is almost paid off thanks to AmeriCorps vouchers), I had not made regular payments. Only two more to go. And the next one's not due until March. Woo hoo!

No comments: