Tuesday, January 04, 2005

100 Books

100 Books I Want to Read Before I Die (A Work in Progress)

I've gotten some great suggestions so far but haven't had a chance to add all the suggestions yest. Hopefully sharing what I have will help you come up with more suggestions.

  1. The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien (own, have read about 5 pages)
  2. The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien (own)
  3. The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien (own)
  4. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy (own)
  5. Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis
  6. Les Miserables, Victor Hugo (have Project Gutenberg e-text, app. 200 pages read)
  7. Mansfield Park, Jane Austen (own, app. 30 pages read)
  8. Vanity Fair, Thackeray
  9. Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
  10. Nickel and Dimed, Barbara Ehrenreich
  11. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie (own)
  12. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
  13. Ulysses, James Joyce
  14. 1984, George Orwell
  15. A People's History of the United States, Howard Zinn
  16. The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
  17. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
  18. The Bible, (of course I have the Catholic Study Bible)
  19. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith (3824)
  20. Origin of Species, Darwin
  21. The Color Purple
  22. What's the Matter with Kansas?, Thomas Frank
  23. How to Win Friends and Influence People, Carnegie
  24. The Entire Lemony Snicket series (I know it's more than one book)
  25. Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl
  26. The Diary of a Young Girl, Anne Frank (unabridged edition)
  27. I Know This Much Is True, Wally Lamb
  28. Madame Bovary
  29. In Cold Blood, Truman Capote

3 comments:

B2 said...

Tolkien rocks! Hugo is awesome! Rushdie? Defintely - in fact, anything by Rushdie is great. I actually made it through the Darwin, and enjoyed it.

Don't bother with Confederacy of Dunces. Everyone says it's the funniest book ever; I didn't get it. Does that make me abnormal?

Some add'l recommendations: "Replay" (Ken Grimwood); anything by T.C. Boyle; Chuck Palahniuk is also incredible - Fight Club was great, but so are "Survivor" and "Diary" and "Choke".

Tara Alton said...

Wow! I'm really impressed with your list of books. Way to go!

Border Trench Safaris said...

I agree on The Kite Runner--terrific novel.