Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Whiner Perspective

I am a whiner, a worrier, and a complainer. I know that these are not flattering qualities. I try to minimize how much I impose it on people. Yes, I'm aware that I've been complaining a lot in the blog. Don't worry. When I get out of hand with it, God gives me reminders to stop being a schmuck.

How, you may ask, does God do this? Well, it's simple. I get sick. Last December, when I was all stressed about moving to California, I woke on my second to last Monday at my job with bronchitis. No warning. Though, I do on average get a nasty case of it every two years thanks to my asthma. Well, it was just over two years. I called in sick immediately and called my doctor for an appointment. Doc was skeptical that I came down with a serious case of bronchitis, but he nevertheless wrote me a prescription for a really strong antibiotic and a new inhaler. I went to fill the prescriptions and found out that my crappy health insurance was only good for prescriptions filled by the medco website. I didn't feel like waiting 5 days for antibiotics, and since they were generics, I ponied up. Suddenly the move didn't seem to be such a big deal, but getting better did.

By Friday morning, I had only worked 4 hours and was even more congested than before. The meds weren't even making a dent. I called and set up another appointment. Doc was surprised to see me again before I had even done the entire antibiotic run. I explained how much worse it was and how my health insurance was going to expire at the end of the month, the same time I was driving all the way to California for a move. Time was of the essence. He agreed that I was doing even worse and ordered chest x-rays to rule out pneumonia (which I luckily didn't have). He came in with samples for better antibiotics and inhaler plus a prescription for the rest of the antibiotic run. He said to try the antibiotic over the weekend before filling the expensive prescription. When I casually mentioned my insurance's prescription policy, he gave me the entire run in samples. That doctor rocked. Probably still does.

Fast forward to now. Why, you may ask, all this back story. Because I'm sick again. Suddenly I'm not so cranky about the NASCAR weekend or when I will get to work. (I'm rather glad I didn't start yesterday because it would have looked really bad if I called in sick on my second day.) Starting at 1 AM this morning my digestive system decided it didn't like what I had eaten. Repeatedly, for at least four hours. I'm practically giddy that all systems have been quiet for over 2 hours. And while I could complain a lot about being sick, I'd rather say that I have the best boyfriend in the world. He was up early before work, getting me things to make me feel better. He's spending his lunch break running to the grocery store to get 7UP, ginger ale, and Gatorade for me. I am so lucky.

No comments: