Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Loss of Kool Krap

I grew up a Kool Aid kid by choice, kind of. My family did not waste money on pop (that's what we call it on the Midwest, though I now call it "soooduh" in a North Dakota/Boston accent.) We drank Kool Aid instead. I would have preferred the soda, but Kool-Aid was far preferable to Wyler's or, egad, the generic Kool-Aid knock-offs. So yes, it was a choice, a choice of the lesser of two evils.

I would periodically ponder the possibilities of saving my Kool-Aid points and getting something really kool with them. I was never big on saving them as the effort rarely seemed worth it for the krap that they offered as prizes. Then I got into high school and turned into a Pepsi fiend. (In college, I made the switch to Diet Coke. Later, it was Diet Pepsi. Then I came to cherish the joy of Diet Vanilla Pepsi.)

Then, I became unemployed and realized that pop is expensive and I drink too much caffeine. The b/f just realized it was too expensive. We have become Kool Aid drinkers, making the occasional foray into the generics. For the most part it's been good, and I feel much better with the drastic decrease in caffeine in my diet. I did start toying with the idea of collecting Kool Aid points.

Last night I decided to swing on over to the Kool Aid website and see what prizes that I could get with my points. If you followed the link, you would have realized that not only is it krap, it's a limited supply of krap. Needless to say, I'm disappointed, again.

1 comment:

birdwoman said...

Hey, man, try growing up on kool aid with only 1/2 cup sugar per 2 qts (it called for a cup.)

I still drink soda all the time, just because I was so deprived as a kid (ok let's have a pity party, one, two, three....awwwwww)

(*)>