Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Interview #2 Update or Misc Karen Rides Again

Well, my second interview was yesterday. I spared you the recap then due to it being Valentine's Day. Job hunting should not be the topic du jour on such a day.

So how'd did the interview go?

Extremely well. I had a lot of experience with things they wanted and on the others, my experience gave me a great from of reference. Speaking of references, they knew one of mine, and I got high marks. I had talked to that person in advance about salary and knew what would be the ballpark for the position, so when it came to pay question, I was able to give a reasonable request. Truth be told, I should have asked for more, but as usual, I was trying to justify what I was asking for. They seemed receptive and they let me know that they have two more people to interview and I should know by the end of the week.

Before heading out of the house today, I grabbed my cell phone to find a message. One of the interviewers had called roughly 30 minutes after the interview. I called him back. One quick and oh, they'd like to offer me the job at the low end of the scale that I had mentioned. I tell the guy I would prefer the high end. He tells me to call back in 2 hours and talk to the owner. Yeah, they aren't going any higher and my negotiating skills suck.

So Monday morning I report for work. I have just shy of a thirty mile commute. I am not as thrilled as I thought I would be to be employed. It's not a nightmare job, but it's not a dream job either. This means I'll continue to watch for something better and preferrably in my field. I'll be networking and working on skills and experience and will hopefully be in a better job by fall. If nothing else, I will soon have health insurance and will be bring in more money than I am currently with unemployment in what is a very tight job market.

Ah, mixed relief.

1 comment:

Jay Bullock said...

Congrats on the job, Karen!