Saturday, August 14, 2004

Neener! Neener! Neeeeeeenerrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last night I was at Borders Bookstore with my boyfriend. I found a cookbook that I had been wanting for quite some time. I snatched it up and went to the checkout. The sales clerk asked me if I was a student because showing my student id would get me a 20% discount.

Now before I finish this story, there are a few things I should share with you.

  1. I still carry my student id from when I was in graduate school because I hope to use it for discounts at museums.
  2. My last job was at an independent bookstore. I have a pretty good idea of what they paid for the book. It's a lot less than the cover price.
  3. In many ways, I share my dad's hatred of big corporations and favor small, local businesses when I can. This is vital coming from a small town because corporations can drain small town economies.
  4. I generally avoid dishonesty and wrongdoing because I know it's going to come back and bite me in the ass.

My answer to question?

"Yes. But I'm from out-of-state, do I still qualify?"

"Yes. I just need you to fill out this form for the discount. Just name and school. Don't worry about the address. And sign it."

And that's what I did.

No comments: