Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Thanks for Nothing!

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm embarrassed to be associated with Notre Dame. Last night, I was so angry that I could not find words for it.

In case you were wondering why, ND fired head coach Ty Willingham. I've posted my views on Coach Willingham before, so I won't go into all the reasons I thoughts he was good for Notre Dame again. I will talk about Nebraska instead.

I grew up in the land of the Big XII conference. When I left for ND, Nebraska was huge and the few Nebraska fans in my area gave me hell for all of Notre Dame's failings. I was happy to point out the lack of felons on the ND team and pointed to how well-rounded the program was. Flash forward several years. Nebraska is the laughingstock now of the Big XII. Not so much because they're not national champs anymore, but because they go through coaches like water, expecting one to turn their fortunes around overnight. They have become so obsessed with success that they look pretty stupid now.

Guess Notre Dame now reminds me of? I was particulary sickened by those students who wanted to protest, demanding Willingham's removal. They think they have it bad. They should have had Bob Davie's as the coach. They are hoping to poach Utah's coach, a former ND assistant coach. Guess what? Bob Davie has all but told Meyer to go elsewhere because the job's too hard because of academics required of the athletes and the location in the middle of nowhere. Thanks Mr. Washed-Up. Why couldn't ND have fired him sooner.

Did anyone suggest a rally of prayer for a classmate and his family who were in a tragic accident over the weekend? Way to screw up your priorities. I'm ashamed to be associated with you, ND.

No comments: