Wednesday, October 13, 2004

GRRRR!!!!!!

Okay. I'm watching the presidential debate. Or at least I'm trying to. I'll admit that I get frustrated and turn the channel.

Bush just answered the question on what he would tell a person who just lost their job overseas. He went into improving education. Ewww, I'm piping mad. Not even going into my issues with his education policies, here's my quick venting with his "education" answer.

  1. He stressed improving education for kids earlier in the school system it is "too late." Excuse me, but bulls***. I've volunteered in adult literacy. There is no "too late." It can be difficult for adult learners so early intervention is great, but if you look at adults and tell them it is "too late" you only perpetuate the problem.
  2. Education does not guarantee a job. I have a B.A. from a prestigious private university and an M.S. that I obtained with a 4.0 and unanimous support of my professors for pursuing a doctorate. When I moved to California, I was unemployed for 5 months. I'm not even terribly picky. The problem is, I have to earn a respectable pay to cover the over $400 a month that I am paying in student loans each month. Education guarantees nothing.

No comments: