Monday, July 19, 2004

Week's Goal

Over the weekend, I got a political e-mail over the weekend.  One of those forwards that makes bold comments and is light on the evidence, as in the sources for information.  I can't very well go after the sender of this e-mail for what I consider to be one of the great e-mail offenses, possibly even more annoying than spam.  If I do, I shall be flogged by my family.  Instead, I'll take my frustration on you.
 
Hopefully, you know my views on e-mail (if not, read the link over to the right), so I won't go into those again.  I will hop onto my soapbox for a moment regarding politics since this week is the Democratic Convention.
 
Discuss politics.  This is a good thing.  Even debate because no one should agree about everything, especially matters of government.  It is when there is disagreement that issues are further analyzed and debated.  This is a good thing.  No one likes a "yes" man, or woman.  Whatever your party affiliation, don't let it become a debate of Democrats vs. Republicans, or any other party combination for that matter.  Debate issues, not parties.  I say this with a caveat.  Do some research.  Heck, do this for yourself.  Be informed.  The following do NOT count as sources of research:  network news, local news, your spouse, friends or co-workers (unless any of them work for non-partisan think tanks), and a good deal of what's on the internet.  How do you do research then?  Chances are you'll get your inital bits of info from any on that list, just try to verify it elsewhere.  And when you get into a political discussion/debate, make it a discussion/debate.  Do not be a preacher.  Preachers do not listen, they preach.  If everyone in the conversation is preaching/persuading, no one is listening to each other and it's no longer a conversation, but a frustrating waste of hot air. 
 
So this week, let's get informed and start some discussions.
 

No comments: