Sunday, July 18, 2004

Blogger Remorse

We've all done it at one point or another.
 
We've said something we shouldn't have.  And I'm not just talking about times like a few weeks ago when I shared the insulting nicknames for a few superiors with a frequest visitor to the offiice without realizing that one of them was within earshot.  When I did realize, I turned even paler than usual.  I was told that my eyes got quite big as well.  This has proven to a funny experience to recall, though not nearly as funny as having told my co-workers about my dream in which I surrendered my cat to the Nazis.
 
I'm thinking of the T.M.I. comments.  The Too Much Information comments that shape people's perception of the speaker in a not so positive way.  Like when during my first week of work at my current job, a co-worker and I were discussing our lingering symptoms from recent bouts of the stomach flu and I brought up my lingering gassiness.
 
It was easy enough to establish boundaries in the beginning.  When I started this blog, I had a few rules, especially since I was encouraging friends and family to read my blog.
  1. No "Momming" - aka talking about friends and family constantly while never talking about myself because no likes to be talked about that much and people won't get to know me if I'm always sharing stories about other people.
  2. Try not to encourage stalkers.
  3. (This rule is still under consideration.)  Would Laurie Notaro write about it?  If no, then it's definitely it's definitely an entry that I'll regret the morning after.

This brings me back to the TMI entries.  There are just that shouldn't be shared with the world, like the perfectly nice British chap who had an entry that started off discussing sitting at his computer naked eating potato chips.  I don't know how the entry ended because I stopped reading and haven't gone back.

For those considering writing a blog entry that goes into a great deal of personal information I offer the following bits of caution:

  1. You may think you can edit/delete entries if you change your mind about an entry, but you can't change/erase the memories of those who read it.
  2. What you think may be a glimpse into a side of you that your readers don't normally get to see might be the awkward first impression of a new visitor to your blog.

No comments: