Sunday, June 20, 2004

Pa's Day

When I was in high school I decided to call my dad, "Pa," because it sounded so deliciously hick. Thankfully, some things fall out of fashion.

Today it's big kudos to Dad. Since I most likely won't be able to catch him on the phone due to time differences and the trip to Mexico that I have planned for today.

For the regular readers of Misc Karen, you owe this man some thanks. Since I moved to California, he has been strongest voice telling me to pursue writing. He's so encouraging he tells co-workers about this blog and gives them the address. Farmers all across the Midwest can check in and wonder what the hell I was thinking, thanks to my dad. If he thinks he's met someone who can help me crack into the field, he tells them what I'm up to, gives them the address, and sees if he can get us in touch with each other.

He's the reason I hesitate to cuss in my blog (but sometimes a good swear is the only thing that will do.)

(Also, Mom, I know that you recognize and support my writing too.)

My dad's support on this is pretty amazing, considering that for my first 5 months out here I was unemployed. I would be telling him about entry ideas and he'd be suggesting putting together a writing portfolio in the quest for one of my dream jobs, newspaper columnist. (Thanks to Jen too who has been awfully encouraging in this area.)

When I moved in with my boyfriend, I expected my dad to disown me. His response? "You're an adult and I trust your judgment."

My jaw still drops at that answer.

As much as I know my mom brags about, I know my dad does too. I just don't get to talk to his co-workers to have the word get back to me. I still know he does it.

For these reasons and so many more, I hope my dad has great Father's Day (I'll be bringing you something wonderfully tacky from Mexico, Dad. Think along the lines of the squeaky penguin I gave you for Christmas '97.)

As for any other father, stepfathers, grandfathers, foster fathers, and pa's reading today, I hope your day rocks too.

No comments: