Saturday, June 26, 2004

$5 and Service After the Sale

It was one of my top priorities to wash my vehicle today. For those not familiar with it, I drive an early 90's model Blazer, thanks to my mom and dad.

I had not washed the Blazer since coming to California in January. It was beginning to looking like a moving pile of dirt with rust spots..

This morning as I pulled into the Sam's Club parking lot, I was amused to discover there was a car wash fundraiser going on. The guys with signs took one look at me and started waving their signs wildly at me. I laughed. Then I parked and went into Sam's.

As I walked out, I decided that I might as well let them wash the Blazer since I was planning on doing it anyway. I drove up to the line and paid $5. This was going to be a bargain I realized.

A swarm of 10-16 year old boys swarmed over the Blazer, and oh the things they said.

Mean things.

Nasty things.

Hurtful things.

I know the Blazer is no longer in its prime, but I've seen far worse on the road. After their first attempt, the grown up with the hose started rinsing it down then called them back. Apparently their arms were not as powerful as those smart mouths.

A few precious boys could be, "Come on, guys, let's give this lady a clean car."

Even the kids drying it off made fun of it.

It hurt.

I drove off thinking the bulk of the kids were brats not deserving of my $5.

By the time I met my boyfriend for lunch I was proud of my Blozer. It's a working vehichle that still has miles left in it. Just because it looks a little junkie, doesn't mean it's not a good vehicle. Besides, now it glistens in the sunlight, even the long meandering crack in the windshield.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I considered, but the polite, hardworking kids kept me from doing it. But if I had been a parent of any of the others, they would have known my wrath. Plus I would have made sure the first car they had was the ugliest, junkiest piece of crap.