Friday, June 18, 2004

A Cry for Attention

I have been downgraded from a mollusk in the ecosystem to an insect, which for those playing along means that I have one less page linking to me. (Imagine me frowning because I refuse to resort to emoticons.)

I was pondering how to my boost my readership. Better entries would be a good start, but I was looking for something more gimmicky that required less effort on my part. While reading what people will do to get a Gmail account, it occurred to me. I have a Gmail account. I have something people want.

Gmail invites.

For the unitiated and computer illiterate, Google is beta testing their new e-mail, Gmail. (Since I use Blogger for my weblog and Blogger is owned by Google, Google has been giving randlom Blogger users the opportunity to get in on the free Gmail accounts.)

Guess who hit the jackpot?

I have been enjoying the 1 GB of storage for some time now. Plus it was great to get the address that I wanted, on the first try. Those who have accounts are eventually given two invites for others to join. Suddenly I was part of the in crowd. Reports began to circulate of people doing all kinds of things to get an invite to get a Gmail account. I was nice and gave my invites to friends whose hotmail accounts would always fill up and bounce back my e-mails. These friends foolishly wasted the invites and didn't sign up.

Now I have to more, and I've been pondering how to best bestow them. Then it occurred to me.

The words "free Gmail account invites" are bound to bring up my blog on someone's search. I'm seriously considering giving an invite to a reader. Though I really like this suggestion.

So if you want a Gmail account, let me know. This is NOT on a first come first serve. Anyone who thinks they can bully me into an account cannot even begin to compare to my brother when I was growing up. As for rudeness, I used to work in retail. I'll give it roughly a week and make a decision.

No comments: