Saturday, June 05, 2004

Idiot Girls Rule (or They Soon Will)

I just finished the book Autobiography of a Fat Bride by Laurie Notaro. Laurie Notaro is the answer to all the really bad chic "lit" out there. I know. I would in a bookstore for quite some time.

It was there that I discovered The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club. When I saw it, I knew I had to have it, and have it I did (and do.) Her books fall into the small category of books that I read passages from to whomever is around. My b/f has been subjected to several chapters and he doesn't get it though I did get him to laugh about "the chitlins experience" and he now references it when teasing me.

I could ramble on for pages, but I suggest that you check out the Idiot Girls for yourselves. Laurie's a trained professional who can explain it better than I.

As for all the gushing, hers are the kind of books that make me want to be a writer. If I should ever be published, I'd have to acknowledge her influence. She's funny without that sentimental, cutesy crap. Plus, I think she could do an amazing Ellen DeGeneres impersonation. Check the website out and buy some of the books. Not only will you enjoy them, but maybe my shameless plugging will get a mention on her site.

No comments: