Sunday, April 04, 2004

A Post in Which I Do Not Use the Word "Generally"

Once in a blue moon, I get a burst of energy and get done an amazing amount of things I usually avoid. Tonight was one of those nights which is odd considering I've been up since 6 AM and I'm not a morning person. I suspect I'll be feeling this in the morning.

I did one of the tasks most frequent to this bouts of personal productivity. I cleaned. Dishes are done. The stove is clean, very clean. I even ironed. 3 pairs of khakis and a red blouse. Of course I'll be hitting up the blouse again tomorrow because I noticed a few creases.

I reward myself by crashing on the couch to watch Trading Spaces. I began to think ahead to my follow up job interview that is on Monday. If I make what I hope, I might be able to make my credit card payment, my student loan payments, when they come out of deferrment, and pay the obscene rate for gas for a job that is an hour commute.

I was beginning to worry because, well, that's what I do. They are other things I'd like to do. Chip in with the bills that my b/f pays for us to live in an apartment. Pay for the car insurance that my dad pays on the vehicle he lets me use. In general, be less of a bum. Maybe be financially solvent sometime. I've been asked what I'd like to do for a career. I'm to the point where my answer is, "Pay off my student loans." "No, really, what do you want to do?" "Listen Notre Dame and graduate school left me seriously smart and seriously in debt. In retrospect, maybe English Lit wasn't the best major. I need a job where I can make enough to pay off my loans, my credit card, and eat. This is no light request. I'm not horribly picky about the rest." Besides, I really miss the routine of work.

So, figuring in what I think I could get for the job considering experience in the field and both my degrees, I think I'm going light on the wage. It's still more than I made at my last job, but the cost of living here is much higher and minimum wage starts a lot higher too. What troubled me was the thought of the deductions. Mentally, the paycheck was getting stretched very thin. So I did some checking.

I think I found some real facts on the internet. I'm serious. I found tax tables for both my federal and state income. I think I can swing this. Hope springs eternal.

Unfortunately, sleep is not coming so easy. Not good on a night where I'm losing an hour as it is. Oh well. I'll go lay down and maybe be peaceful with the thought that I have done all I can do tonight.

No comments: