Friday, April 02, 2004

I Don't Know Jack

I've never been a very good practical joker. I can't bluff, which means I generally avoid poker too. Generally, the only person I can get is my mom. She's trusts me so much and I pull one on her every April Fools'. This year was no different, I got her. But I was gentle. I had some traumatic things in mind, but I knew they'd get me in trouble.

This year I was the one who was surprised. I met my boyfriend for lunch. We also stopped by the animal shelter. We stop there often. We like animals and have been thinking about adopting. I like dogs, but I've always wanted a cat. The b/f loves dogs and despises all but a few cats. Due to our current living situation, the only pet we can have is a cat. Surprisingly, the b/f has been seeing more cats he likes. But we agreed that it would take an extraordinary cat. We did see a few we liked a lot.

Well, on his way home from work, he calls me and says I need to be ready to run to Walmart with him when he gets home. I'm waiting by the curb when he pulls up. Imagine my surprise when I spy a cardboard cat carrier in the passenger seat beside him. It was not empty. Inside was a rather angry black and gray tabby. Apparently I'm not the only one who gets distressed at some of my boyfriend's driving. Jack is a playful, yet not hyper 4 year old tabby who we both liked.

Now Jack is laying on my lap bathing himself, pausing to ponder what I'm doing. He likes to meow when he's not geting enough attention. He's being exiled to the bathroom for his first night and I know I'm going to hear him. But he's already taken a nap with me on the couch. He uses the litter box (though I have the sinking suspicion that I'll be the one responsible for taking care of it). I've called a few friends excited about my bundle of joy. Yet it occurs to me that I'm absorbing a ton of responsibility. Gulp. There is a newfound respect for my mom.

No comments: