Monday, April 05, 2004

A Matter of Perspective

This morning I was on cloud nine. I went through my follow up job interview. It went well. Really well. I can expect a call next week. I was told, "on a personal note," that next time I interview with a company, I should ask for more money because I'll get it. Woo hoo job, but why must I wait for another company. Is there any room for negotiation with the job offer stage?

Nonetheless, much happiness as it would appear that I will soon be employed.

Later, this afternoon, I was reading my e-mail when I found out that one of my best friends from Notre Dame (who is getting her MFA from Columbia University) has been awarded a Fulbright Scholarship (Congrats again Amy!) and leaves for Israel in October. Hmmm. Working my way into retail management doesn't feel like such an accomplishment.

I eventually got to thinking about the family that lives next door. When we moved in, I went through my clothing and pitched some of my old ND t-shirts that I didn't think would be worth even sending to Salvation Army. I noticed that some animals tore open the bag when I was forced to place it beside the overstuffed dumpster. I have since seen my neighbors wearing my old t-shirts.

Retail management doesn't seem so bad when it means a paycheck for an honest day's work. If I feel like I should be doing more, I need to remember that I am more than just my job (or would-be job). If nothing else, I am writing more. Maybe someday I'll get off my duff and try to do something with it.

No comments: