Saturday, February 25, 2006

Please Say It Isn't So

Tonight, the b/f and I went out for dinner. As we worked on our entrees, we listened to our waitress at the next table.

"I'm sorry, tonight's my first night."

She fawned over that table as the joked with her about the bet that they had going on her age.

Please.

The one lesson that I've learned in retail is "Whatever the problem, it should never be an excuse." Basically, they don't want to know why things are going wrong, they want to hear how you are making things right. I like the professional air of this sentiment.

So when our waitress finally checked in on us, I was quick to point out that we needed refills.

My b/f informed that I was snippy. I concede that I was, but her service was subpar, she needed a sign so she'd learn, and that I was far from rude. He proceeded to inform me that I am frequently snippy with waitstaff once they make a mistake.

No, I'm not.

Am I?

Only once have I complained to a manager. If the service isn't good, I'm going to ask for what I want, and I occasionally might get snippy. But it is unheard of for me to become rude. He made it sound like I was "Snippy, the customer from hell." I do know one thing.

My glass didn't go empty for the rest of the meal. (And I was pleasant.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't you love it that you get called "snippy" for expecting basic service IN A RESTAURANT?