Sunday, March 21, 2004

As a kid, I always loved the Sunday edition of the paper. Mainly I liked the coupons, the large selection of comics in color, and Parade or USA Weekend depending on the current favorite of the publisher. My dad was always trying to get me to read more of the paper. I eventually worked Ann Landers and my horoscope into the regular reading.

Then I hit college and the Sunday paper became a thing of the past because the student newspaper was free and only on weekdays. There was also a lack of variety in the comics.

It wasn't until a recent move to California that I once again embraced the Sunday paper. I must admit that I look forward to my Sunday engagement with the Los Angeles Times. The comics selection are kind of weak especially considering there are two sections, albeit very slim selections. They are still in color.

I still love the coupons and the ads, and while I do a lot of skimming, Parade is generally good. I personally love three crossword puzzles in each issue. However, I now find that I really like the articles and essays. I can't help but feeling my brain work in a way that's rare since I became unemployed. It's not unlike what I experienced when I found NPR, that oh-so-grown-up feeling.

No comments: