Monday, September 02, 2013

Some Things Are Just Too Important

Anyone who knew me when the United States on the verge of our entry into Iraq would be able to tell you that I vehemently opposed that action.  Let's just say, I didn't mince words.


I've been stewing a lot on the topic of Syria and all comparisons to Iraq.  I tend to be pretty anti-war, and I have known people who served in Iraq.  I am not inconsiderate of the problems of military conflict.  I would like to point out some key differences between Iraq and Syria.

  1. Iraq was pre-emptive.  I had major issues with that.  Syria is not.
  2. France wants to intervene.  FRANCE!  What is this?  Opposite day?
  3. Russia is sending lobbyists to the United States to urge legislators to vote against action in Syria.  For those who are less into following the news than I am, Russia has taken on more of a human rights are optional approach in recent years.  If I was a legislator, I wouldn't want to risk being caught within 20 yards of these lobbyists.
  4. On a personal note, I am now a mother, and I wasn't before Iraq.  When I see what seron did to innocent children, all I can think is, "How can anyone with the power to stop this refuse to stop it?"  All notions of moral superiority go out the window when children are killed and the rest of the world takes a hands-off approach.  The video in the news coverage of the suffering breaks my heart.  Why are some children more worth protecting than others?
I hate war, and I hate violence.  But I hate that some want to idly sit back and watch.

No comments: